Welcome!

GRDadof3

Welcome to the new home for discussions regarding the "Green Grand Rapids" Parks, Greenspace and Sustainability Master Plan Updates. This section is an informal partnership between UrbanPlanet - Grand Rapids and the City of Grand Rapids Planning Department to help foster discussion and feedback around the updates to the city's Master Plan.

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=7074

Look for more features to be added to this section soon, including specific areas and discussions centered around:

) Connections

) The Grand River

) Greening the City

) Parks & Recreation

) Health and Food

) Natural Systems

Please stay tuned!

Hello All!

I am with the Planning Department and will be posting topics, comments, etc..... frequently! If you have input regarding the Green Grand Rapids planning process, post it! We are looking for community input! If you have a question, post it! I will respond as quickly as I can!

You can also find alot of great information on our website, dedicated specifically to the Green Grand Rapids planning process... visit www.greengrandrapids.us (where you will soon be able to link directly to this forum!)

Grand Rapids is going Green! We need ideas and input from you- lets keep this thread going!

Edited by avanelsacker

This is a capital idea:

• Those who missed the two charettes, or a second-favorite break-out group, will be able to provide input

• No time constraints here on/in the Planet

• No additional cost to Favorite City, no consultants needed to run the process, no set-up (green dots, charts, graphs, maps, markers, coffee & cookies)

• No paper!

• Ideas and comments can be posted, scrutinized, discussed

Combining everything in one place means that the information will be readily available, rather than in UP's coffeehouse, upcoming events, main page, etc. etc.

The link is now up on the City's website:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=7074

We are just wading into this so don't expect it to explode with activity right away. Now's your chance to throw out ideas if you did not get a chance to attend one of the Green Grand Rapids charettes. Also, even if you don't live in the city of GR, but are interested in a vibrant city for parks, recreation and attractions to visit, don't be afraid to join in.

Thanks!

FYI :rolleyes:

We have started discussions on the various "Area Specific Plans" that will be part of the Green Grand Rapids planning process...

These include:

201 Market

Joe Taylor Park

Butterworth Landfill

Ball/Perkins

Riverwalk

I will be posting community meeting/charrette dates that correspond with each Area Specific Plan on our Green Grand Rapids website (www.greengrandrapids.us)

Stay Tuned!!!

My address may not be in Grand Rapids (unless you count my P.O. Box), and I may not go to bed, wake up, shower, and cook in Grand Rapids, but I still like to think I live there. I work in Grand Rapids, I go to school in Grand Rapids, I meet people in Grand Rapids, I relax, explore, and entertain myself in Grand Rapids.

Grand Rapids is what defines this entire region.

• 1 month later...

FYI

The first of several Area Specific design charrettes is scheduled for January 9th and 10th!

You can help plan a city park-

The City's Parks and Rec Department will be hosting a two-day Design Charrette to provide an opportunity for community members to learn more about the Butterworth Landfill Superfund site and share park development ideas with the design team.

January 9th

9:00am-12:00pm or 1:00pm-3:00pm

January 10th

Location: Westside Complex, 215 Straight Ave NW, Grand Rapids

For more information, please contact City Parks and Rec Director, Jay Steffen

616-456-4234 or [email protected]

A public meeting to present the charrette's findings and get neighborhood input on the design options is scheduled for January 10th from 6:00pm-7:30pm at the Westside Complex.

Edited by avanelsacker

FYI

The first of several Area Specific design charrettes is scheduled for January 9th and 10th!

You can help plan a city park-

The City's Parks and Rec Department will be hosting a two-day Design Charrette to provide an opportunity for community members to learn more about the Butterworth Landfill Superfund site and share park development ideas with the design team.

January 9th

January 10th

Location: Westside Complex, 215 Straight Ave NW, Grand Rapids

For more information, please contact City Parks and Rec Director, Jay Steffen

616-456-4234 or [email protected]

A public meeting to present the charrette's findings and get neighborhood input on the design options is scheduled for January 10th from 6:00pm-7:30pm at the Westside Complex.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Green Gathering: Actions is Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at Harrison Park Elementary School from 6:30 to 8:30pm. Please park and use the Muskegon Street entrance.

Plan conecpts that capture the public's input will begin to create a vision for what an implemented plan would look like. Five special study areas, including the Grand River, Butterworth Landfill, 201 Market, Joe Taylor Park, and Ball-Perkins Park will integrate the community's ideas into a series of achievable plans. Citizens will be asked to identify partnering opportunities and funding strategies and to prioritize the City's work plan.

If you are unable to attend Green Gathering: Actions, please look for our "Actions Priorities" survey at www.greengrandrapids.us

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Green Gathering: Call to Action

Wednesday, October 21st, 6:30pm - 8:30pm, Creston High

-What we have done so far; Overview of the Green Grand Rapids process, where we are/how we got here

-Where we are going from here; What's next!

-How can you get involved; meet partners/champion groups, find out how you can help!

Green Grand Rapids Partner/Champion organizations will be joining us at Green Gathering: Call to Action to introduce their group and tell us about what they are doing and how YOU can help!

-Friends of GR Parks

-WMEAC

-WMMBA

-Fulton Street Farmers Market

-Grand River groups including GRWW

-GGRBC